Pursuant to the updated order issued by the Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India dated May 17, 2020 bearing No. 40-3/2020-DM-I(A) (“Order”) with the new guidelines on the measures to be taken by Ministries / Department of Government of India / states and state authorities for containing the spread of COVID-19, the Karnataka state government has issued updated guidelines on the measures to be taken for containing the spread of COVID-19 which will come into effect immediately and be valid till May 31, 2020 (“Karnataka Order”). The Karnataka Order can be accessed here.
Below is a brief overview of the Karnataka Order, in addition to those set out by the Order:
1. Permitted Activities
- In all zones areas except containment zones, taxis/autorickshaws (with a maximum of 2 (two) passengers excluding the driver), maxi cabs and aggregators will be permitted to ply with restrictions.
- Barber shops, saloons and spas will be permitted to operate subject to the standard operating procedure prescribed by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
- Government and municipal parks will be open to the public between specified times subject to restrictions.
2. Curfew: Sundays will be full day lockdown, that is, on Sundays no movement will be permitted from 7AM to 7PM in addition to the 7PM to 7AM curfew, except for essential activities.
3. Demarcation of Zones: The Department of Health and Family Welfare, Government of Karnataka will demarcate taluks/wards into red, orange and green zones only for the purpose of monitoring and will not impose any additional restrictions to the activities permitted under these guidelines.