The State Government of Tamil Nadu has vide notification no. G.O.(Ms)No.217 dated 03 May 2020, issued the following orders for the effective containment of COVID-19:
- The lockdown period has been extended from 00.00hrs of 04.05.2020 to 24:00hrs of 17.05.2020.
- Agricultural and other activities already permitted, would continue to be permitted during the lock-down period.
- Existing restrictions for the below mentioned operations shall stand unaltered until further notification:
a. Schools, colleges, training centers, research institutions and all other educational institutions;
b. Public gatherings at place of worship and religious centers;
c. Theaters, shopping malls, gymnasiums, swimming pools, sports complexes, assembly halls and similar places;
d. Gatherings and processions of all nature including religious functions, social, political, sports, entertainment, academic and cultural and other gatherings;
e. Air, rail and public bus transport for passenger movement (except dedicated staff buss/Vans used by industries and establishments);
f. Taxi, auto, cycle rickshaw;
g. Metro rail services;
h. Inter-state public movement;
i. Hotels (excluding the employees’ accommodation), lodges and resorts;
j. Mall, barber shop, salon, spa, & beauty parlor;
k. Air-conditioned showrooms selling jewels, clothes and departmental stores will not be permitted;
l. Funeral procession with not more than 20 persons; and
m. Marriages upon adherence to existing restrictions.
- No activity shall be permitted in the containment zones.
- Strict surveillance will be done on gathering of more than 5 people.
- The following activities are allowed in all areas falling under the jurisdiction of Greater Chennai Police (excluding containment zones):
a. Construction works, provided the workers reside in the place where the construction work is carried on. Workers from outside should be brought on a one time basis.
b. Construction works (including laying of roads) undertaken by Government and Public Sector Undertakings.
c. Undertakings functioning in SEZ, EOU and Export Units: provided that 25% workers alone (minimum 20 workers) shall be permitted upon such undertakings allowed after due inspection and assessment by Commissioner, GCC / District Collector. Strict access control must be ensured. Employees shall travel only in vehicles operated by the respective Organisation.
d. IT and ITes services, provided that 10% workers alone (minimum 20 workers) shall be permitted. Employees shall travel only in vehicles operated by the respective Organisation.
e. Shops selling essential commodities from 6.00 A.M till 5.00 P.M. shall be permitted.
f. E- Commerce services providers, handling food and essential commodities; shall be permitted based on the already permitted timings.
g. Restaurants shall be permitted from 6.00 A.M till 9.00 P.M. Parcels alone shall be permitted.
h. All Standalone and neighborhood shops (except saloons, spa and beauty parlours); construction hardware, cement, construction materials, sanitaryware, electrical items, mobile phone, computers, household appliances, electric motor and spectacles stores sold by standalone shops shall be permitted from 11.00 A.M till 5.00 P.M.
i. Self-employed workers such as plumber, electrician, air conditioner mechanics, carpenter, home care providers for persons with special needs and household workers shall be permitted after obtaining necessary permission received from Chennai Corporation Commissioner/ District Collector.
- The following activities are allowed in all areas across the states (except for areas under the jurisdiction of Greater Chennai Police and containment zones)
a. All industries, including the textile industries, located outside the Corporation/Municipal limits of the state (except in containment zones) shall be allowed to function with 50% workers (minimum 20 persons). All industrial activities across the village and town panchayat areas shall be allowed.
b. However, in town panchayat having a population of more than 15,000, the District Collector should permit the operations of textile industries with 50% workers based on the local conditions.
c. Functioning of SEZ, EOU, industrial estates, industrial townships in rural and urban areas shall be allowed with 50 % workers.
d. Spinning Mills located in village and town panchayat area shall be permitted to operate with 50% workers on a shift basis by adhering to physical distancing norms.
e. The operations of leather and textile industries dealing with designing and sampling for export purposes shall be allowed in the Municipalities and Corporations with the District Collectors’ permission and with 30% workers after accessing the local situation.
f. Further, the District Collector may permit all export units in urban areas to operate with 50% workers, based on accessing the local condition.
g. IT hardware manufacturing unit are permitted to operate with 50% workers.
h. IT and ITeS services are permitted to operate with 50% employees (minimum 20 persons).
i. Construction works carried in urban areas; provided the workers reside in the place where the construction work is carried on.
j. Construction works (including laying of roads) undertaken by Government and Public Sector Undertakings;
k. Self-employed workers such as plumber, electrician, air conditioner mechanics, carpenter, shall be permitted to work upon permission received from District Collector.
l. Care givers for persons with special needs, physically challenged, elderly and sick patients, domestic helpers shall be permitted upon obtaining permission from the District Collector.
m. Printing press operations shall be permitted.
n. Shops selling construction hardware, cement, construction materials, sanitaryware, electrical equipment for enabling construction work shall be permitted to operate between 9.00 A.M. to 5.00 P.M. both in urban and rural area. There shall be no restriction on transportation of construction materials.
o. Standalone establishments including those for mobile phones, computers, home appliances, electric motor repair, spectacles sale and repair shall be permitted to operate between 10.00 A.M. to 5.00 P.M.
p. All the standalone establishments situated in rural areas shall be permitted to operate from 9.00 A.M. to 5.00 P.M.
q. Restaurants shall operate between 6 A.M. to 9.00 P.M. for takeaway only.
r. E-Commerce establishments shall operate as permitted earlier.
s. District Collectors may upon circumstances permit the operation of all the standalone shops shall operate between 10 A.M. to 5 P.M. except malls and market complexes located in municipalities and corporations (Salon, spa and beauty parlour are not permitted).
- All industrial establishments shall strictly adhere to the SOPs listed out in Para VIII (Strict adherence to SOPs), Annexure I (SOP to be adhered with while restarting industries), Annexure II (SOP for construction industry) and Annexure III (SOP and measures to be taken if a COVID-19 positive is identified in a facility) of the notification.
- All activities mentioned below shall be permitted to function along with those activities that were already permitted:
a. Agricultural and allied activities, plantation (including agro processing);
b. Marine and inland fishing subject to the instructions issued by the fisheries department;
c. Animal husbandry, milk, milk processing and poultry;
d. Healthcare institution including AYUSH centers, pharmacies, laboratories and diagnostics;
e. All manufacturing of essentials;
f. All continuous process industries;
g. In case of industries that are not permitted to operate – essential maintenance activities shall be carried on for safety purposes with minimal skeletal staff;
h. Manufacture and sale of agricultural implements, fertilizers, insecticides, pesticides, etc.;
i. Financial institutions like RBI, SEBI, Banks, NBFCs, ATMs and related services;
j. All media, postal services, telecom services;
k. Public utility services;
l. Social sector activities like home for senior citizens, etc.;
m. All goods carriers;
n. Logistics, warehousing and cold chain;
o. All seaports, airports and railways stations for cargo/goods movement, etc.;
p. Construction activities;
q. Mining activities and mineral production;
r. Amma canteens;
s. Hotels, e-commerce and shops selling food, grocery, and essential commodities;
t. MGNREGS activities
- If it becomes difficult to ensure safety, shops/markets selling meat, fish, vegetables, etc. can be shifted to larger spaces;
- Major industries, IT and ITes establishments, and construction activities shall be permitted after obtaining passes for the vehicles used for transportation of vehicles; Only 50% of the seating capacity shall be occupied;
- No separate passes shall be required for MSME located in the specified areas. However, MSME employees should carry the ID card issued by the company.
- All state government and central government offices shall function with 33% staff strength. However, all essential government services (including registration department) shall function with full strength; No separate pass shall be required while moving on duty.
The Tamil Nadu State Government has ordered the Greater Chennai Corporation and District Collectors to follow the above guidelines and accord necessary permissions to all permitted industries, enabling then to start their operations from 06 May 2020 onwards.
Violation of these measures shall be liable to be proceeded under Section 51 to 60 of the Disaster Management Act, 2005 besides legal action under Section 188 of Indian Penal Code and other relevant provisions
This notification is accessible at: https://cms.tn.gov.in/sites/default/files/go/revenue_e_217_2020_0.pdf