Minu’s practice spans a wide spectrum of Corporate Commercial laws which includes advising & assisting clients on matters and issues relating to Labour, Employment, Education, Foreign Direct Investment, Environment, Biodiversity, Food, Retail, Manufacturing, Legal Metrology and conducting FCPA, Anti-Corruption, Bribery, Disciplinary, Workplace Investigations, POSH Conciliations / Inquiries and Ethics and HR Audits.
She is actively engaged in, amongst others, drafting opinions, contracts, agreements, restructuring plans, workplace policies, voluntary retirement/separation schemes, employee benefit/retention schemes, trust deeds and rules, employee manuals, devising entry, risk mitigation, litigation, exit strategies, conducting due diligences, legal audits, prevention of sexual harassment trainings, feasibility analysis, participating in negotiations, workplace investigations and representing clients before various labour courts.
Minu has advised domestic and international non-profit organisations on varied issues covering structures of non-profit organisations, setting up of trusts, societies & not for profit companies, obtaining tax exemptions, licenses and seeking government approval for receipt of foreign contributions, collaboration between an Indian trust and a foreign university, winding up of trusts and conduct, supervision and financing of philanthropic projects in India by an overseas non-profit organisation.
Minu has extensive experience in Employment related advisory work and regularly assists clients on matters involving:
- pre-employment screening including background verification and medical screening
- staffing and recruitment including engagement of foreign nationals, consultants, temporary and agency workers and contract labour
Compensation and benefits:
- structuring of remuneration including bonuses, employee health insurance requirements, social security compliances for domestic employees and international workers, operation of PF trusts, compensation for injury/ occupational disease
- funding of retirement benefit, employee retention plans and schemes
- VRS and severance payments
Workplace policies and compliances:
- workplace policies on Maternity/ Paternity /Disability/ Grievance Redressal/ Disciplinary/ Employee Privacy/ Diversity and Inclusion
- POSH policy, training, proceedings/ investigations and reporting
- working conditions, occupational health and safety measures, creation and management of crèche facilities
- labour law licenses, registrations and filings
- standing orders
- industrial relation management, employer – employee representation, consultation and collective bargaining with trade union
- restructuring/ downsizing/ lay-offs / transfer of workforce or closure of workplace
- misconduct, suspension, domestic enquiry and disciplinary action
- settlement of employee disputes, grievances, discrimination, unfair dismissal claims
White collar crimes and investigations:
- investigation into White Collar Crimes by employees
- whistle-blower protection
- vicarious liability of management and disclosure obligations
Her work in the Education sector includes advising on matters relating to collaboration with foreign universities, establishment of global schools with international affiliation, grant of deemed to be university status, conduct of non-core educational activities, outsourcing of educational infrastructure, restructuring/merger of educational societies and trusts, fee-fixation, reservation of seats and creation of corporate quota in engineering colleges.
Minu’s Food laws related experience includes assisting clients in obtaining food licenses under the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006 and advising on food retail business in India, contract farming arrangements, mandatory packaging/labelling requirements and prescribed standards for imported food, production and quality control of vegetarian food products in India and on-board sale of food and beverages to flight passengers.
Previously, as part of the Infrastructure Litigation team, Minu had been involved in several high value and precedent setting Litigations affecting private DISCOMs (Distribution Companies) in Delhi, worked on diverse regulatory issues pertaining to the Power sector including tariff appeals on behalf of clients and represented clients at different judicial and quasi-judicial forums.
Bar Council of Delhi
- The Employee Moonlighting Dilemma – Published on JSA Blog on September 23, 2022 and Lexology on October 3, 2022
- Regulating Remote Working: Need of the Hour – Published in ET HR World on September 19, 2022 and Lexology on September 20, 2022
- Challenges in implementing Haryana job reservation in private employment: Labour Benefits vs. Production Losses – Published on Mondaq on November 11, 2020
- Evaluating the Code on Social Security, 2020 – Published on Mondaq on November 4, 2020
- Key Reforms impacting Contract Labour under Code on Occupational Safety, Health and Working Conditions, 2020 – Published on BW LegalWorld on October 28, 2020
- Implications of the Industrial Relations Code, 2020 – Published on Mondaq on October 20, 2020
- Impact of Code on Wages, 2019 on Private Sector – Published on Mondaq on October 14, 2020
- COVID 19 – A Catalyst for Gig Economy – Published on Peoplematters on October 9, 2020
- Will private employers have flexibility to take employment decisions during lockdown? – Published in ET HR World on May 15, 2020
- Decoding the Code on Wages 2019: Why the move to protect workers can backfire – Published on CNBC TV18 on August 20, 2019
- Win some, lose some – Published in The Financial Express on March 11, 2016
- Welcome boost to working women – Published in The Hindu Business Line on January 5, 2016
- Rajasthan hits the ground running – Published in The Hindu Business Line on January 4, 2015
- New sexual harassment law difficult to implement – Published on GovernanceNow.com on January 8, 2014.
- IFLR 1000 Asia Pacific Ranking 2023 – Notable Practitioner, Corporate and M&A
- IFLR 1000 Asia Pacific Ranking 2022 – Notable Practitioner, Corporate and M&A
- IFLR 1000 Asia Pacific Ranking 2021 – Notable Practitioner, Corporate and M&A
- Legal 500 2022 – Key Practitioner, Labour and Employment
- B.A. (Philosophy Honours), Delhi University (2002)
- LL.B. Campus Law Centre, Delhi University (2005)