The Government of Maharashtra has time and again undertaken various lockdown measures in adherence to the guidelines and notifications issued by the Ministry of Home Affairs and in view of the continuing spread of COVID-19 within the State. On 17 May 2020 the State Government through its powers constituted under the Disaster Management Act 2005, issued an order to extend the lockdown measures in the State up to 31May 2020 and further issued revised consolidated guidelines from time to time to contain the spread of COVID-19.The State Government, on evaluating the threat of spread of COVID-19 in the State of Maharashtra, in exercise of its powers conferred under Section 2 of the Epidemic Diseases Act and all other enabling provisions of the Disaster Management Act, 2005 has extended the lockdown in the entire State of Maharashtra further till midnight of 30th June 2020.In light of the above, directions have been issue vide an order dated 31 May 2020 (“Order”) to extend the existing lockdown, with amendments and to operationalize MISSION BEGIN AGAIN for easing of restrictions and phase-wise opening. The order is set to come into effect from 1 June 2020 and will remain effective till 30 June 2020.
1. Night Curfew: The movement of individuals is strictly prohibited between 9:00 pm to 5:00 am except for essential activities
2. Protection of Vulnerable Persons: Except for medical and essential services, persons who are above the age of 65 years, persons with comorbidities, pregnant women and children below the age of 10 years have been advised to stay at home
3. Containment Zones: For the demarcation and ascertainment of permitted activities in a containment zone, the guidelines of the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (“MOHFW”) shall be taken into consideration.
(a) The containment zones will be demarcated by the Municipal/District Authorities. The municipal commissioners in corporation areas and district collectors in other parts of the district are empowered to decide the containment zone. The containment zone can be a residential colony, mohalla, slum, building, group of buildings, lane, ward etc. Anything larger than this (eg. Whole taluka/ Whole Municipal Corporation etc.) can be declared as containment zone only after consultation with Chief Secretary.
(b) In these containment zones, only essential activities will be allowed. There shall be strict perimeter control to ensure there is no movement of people in and out of the zones, except for medical emergencies
4. Activities allowed in a phase wise manner in certain regions: The Order allows the following activities with phase wise restrictions in municipal corporations of MMR region, including MCGM, Municipal Corporations of Pune, Solapur, Aurangabad, Malegaon, Nashik, Dhule, Jalgaon, Akola, Amravati and Nagpur.
I. Phase 1 – With effect from June 3, 2020
(a) Outdoor physical activities:
Individual physical exercises like cycling, jogging, running, walking shall be permitted (with an emphasis on cycling) on public open spaces including beaches, public / private playgrounds, grounds belonging to societies/institutions, gardens and promenades with following conditions:
(i) The activities can take place between 5 am to 7 pm.
(ii) They shall not be in the form of a group activity and children should be accompanied by an adult.
(iii) It shall be undertaken for a limited duration
(iv) No other activity shall be permitted.
(v) People have been permitted to use only nearby/neighbourhood open spaces. Long distance travel has not been permitted.
(vi) People have been advised to avoid crowded open spaces.These activities will be not permitted in indoor portion or indoor stadium.
(b) Activities relating to self-employed people like plumbers, electricians, pest control and technicians
(c) Garages to mend vehicles and workshops with prior appointments
(d) All government offices (excluding Emergency, health and medical, treasuries, disaster management, police, NIC, food and civil Supply, F.C.I, N.Y.K , Municipal Services who can operate at the levels as per the need) are allowed to function at 15% strength or minimum 15 employees whichever is more.
II. Phase II – With effect from 5th June 2020
(a) All markets, market areas & shops, except malls and market complexes, have been allowed to function on PI-P2 basis (shops on one side of the road/lane/passage to be opened on odd dates while shops on the other side on even dates) from 9 am to 5 pm with following conditions.
(i) The use of trial rooms in the shops have not be permitted for clothes, apparels and similar items to prevent spread of infection. Similarly exchange policy and return policy have also not be permitted.
(ii) The shopkeepers will be responsible for ensuring social distancing norms in the shops and are encouraged to take measures such as foot markings on the floor, token system, home delivery etc.
(iii) People are advised to walk / to use cycles for shopping purposes and to use nearby/neighborhood markets as far as possible. Long distance travel for nonessential items have not been permitted. Use of motorized vehicles for shopping have also been strictly discouraged.
(iv) The shops shall be shut down by the concerned authorities if there is any failure of social distancing.
(b) Movement of people have been allowed in the following manner:
(i) Taxi/Cab/aggregator – Only essential 1+2(ii) Rickshaw – Only essential 1+2(iii) Four wheeler- Only essential 1+2(iv) Two Wheeler- Only essential 1+2
III. Phase III – With effect from June 8, 2020
All private offices have been allowed to operate with up to 10% strength as per requirement, with remaining persons working from home.
5. Permitted activities in other regions: In the states apart from the ones mentioned above, all activities, which are not expressly prohibited under this order and which are not otherwise explicitly prohibited or banned, shall continue to be permitted, with following conditions:(a) No permission is needed from any govt. authorities for permitted activities(b) Outdoor portion of Sport complexes and Stadia and other open to sky public spaces will be permitted to remain open for individual exercises; however, spectators and group activities will not be allowed.(c) All public and private transport will follow passenger management in the following manner:(i) Two Wheeler – 1 rider(ii) Three Wheeler – 1 + 2(iii) Four Wheeler – 1 + 2(d) Intra district bus service will be allowed with maximum 50% capacity per bus with physical distancing and sanitation measures.(e) Inter-district bus service orders will not be permitted.(f) All markets/shops will remain open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. If any crowding or failure of social distancing norms is seen, then authorities are required to immediately close down such shops/markets.
6. Activities prohibited throughout the State: The following activities shall be expressly prohibited throughout the state and the easing of restrictions and opening up for these activities will be done in a phased manner along with Standard Operating Procedures (“SOPs”)and Guidelines:
(i) Schools, colleges, educational, training, coaching institutions etc.
(ii) International air travel of passengers, except as permitted by the Ministry of Home Affairs (“MHA”).
(iii) Metro Rail.
(iv) Passenger Movement by trains and domestic air travel unless specifically allowed through separate orders and Standard Operating Procedure (SOP)
(v) Cinema halls, gymnasiums, swimming pools, entertainment parks, theatres, bars and auditoriums, assembly halls and similar places.
(vi) Social, political, sports/ entertainment, academic/ cultural, religious functionsand large congregations.
(vii) Religious places/ places of worship for public
(viii) Barber Shops, Spas, Saloons, Beauty Parlours.
(ix) Shopping Malls, Hotels, Restaurants and other Hospitality Services.
7. Movement of persons and goods in certain cases.
(a) All Authorities have been authorized to allow inter-State and Intra-State movement of medical professionals, nurses and para medical staff, sanitation personnel and ambulances without any restrictions.
(b) The inter-state and inter-district movement of persons are continued to be regulated.
(c) The following will be regulated by the relevant SOPs issued:
(i) Movement of persons by shramik special trains issued vide Order dated 2 May 2020
(ii) Movement of Indian nationals stranded outside the country and of specified persons to travel abroad , issued vide Order dated May 5, 2020;(iii) Evacuation of foreign nationals; sign-on and sign-off of Indian seafarers vide Order dated April 21, 2020.
(d) Inter-State movement of all types of goods/ cargo, including empty trucks shall be allowed by authorities
(e) The movement of any type of goods/cargo for cross land-border trade under Treaties with neighboring countries shall not be stopped by any authority.
8. Use of Aarogya Setu
In order to facilitate timely provision of medical attention to those individuals who are at risk, employers and district authorities have been advised to undertake best effort basis to ensure that Aarogya Setu is installed by all individuals/employees having compatible mobile phones and they regularly update their health status on the app.
9. National Directives for COVID-19 Management:
The Order in its Annexure I has also advised that the national directives for COVID 19 Management be followed throughout the state as follows:
(a) Compulsory wearing of face coverings.
(b) Mandatory Social Distancing of at least 6 Feet.
(c) Large public gatherings are prohibited.
(i) For marriage related gatherings, number of guests to not exceed 50.
(ii) For funeral related gatherings, number of persons to not exceed 20.
(d) Spitting in public places is punishable with fine as prescribed by the local authorities;
(e) Consumption of liquor, paan, gutka, tobacco etc in public places is prohibited.
(f) Workplace directives:
(i) Work from home to be practised to the extent possible;
(ii) Provision of thermal screening, sanitizer, hand wash to be made at all entry and exit points and common areas;
(iii) Frequent sanitization of all points which come into human contact to be ensured;
(iv) Practising of social distancing by workers is to be ensured by all persons in charge of workplaces.
10. Activities permitted so far by various orders upto the order (Here) dated 19 May 2020The Order under Annexure II has specified that the activities allowed in certain regions as phases under Paragraph (4), above, shall be in addition to the following set of previously permitted activities:
(a) All essential shops which are allowed to remain open before this Order, shall continue to do so.
(b) All non-essential shops will be allowed to continue as per relaxations and guidelines issued before this order and are in operation as per the policy of respective Municipal Corporation. Liquor shops will continue to operate if permitted, home delivery or otherwise.
(c) E-commerce activity for essential as well as non-essential items & material.
(d) All the industrial units which are presently open will continue to operate.
(e) All construction sites (Public/Private) which are allowed to remain open and operational. All such pre-monsoon works (Public and Private) which are allowed.
(f) Home delivery restaurants / Kitchen.
(g) On-line/ distance learning and related activities.
(h) Govt Offices at 5% strength or 10 persons whichever is higher.
(i) People’s movement is allowed in following manner:
(i) Two wheeler only essential one rider
(ii) Four Wheeler only essential (1 + 2)
(j) Any other allowed and permitted activity by any specific/general order.