Today, I had enquired about the status of Coronavirus in Tamil Nadu. In villages, the spread of Coronavirus has been controlled to a certain extent. However, in urban areas especially which are densely populated, the chances of the virus spread are high. On having discussions with doctors and experts from the public health department, I have been informed that stringent lockdown measures are required in urban areas (namely Chennai, Coimbatore and Madurai). So, the Tamil Nadu Government has taken the following decisions by exercising its powers under Disaster Management Act, 2005.
There shall be complete lockdown:
a. In Chennai, Coimbatore and Madurai corporation limits from 26.04.2020 – 6.00 AM to 29.04.2020 – 9.00PM
b. In Tiruppur and Salem corporation limits from 26.04.2020 – 6.00 AM to 28.04.2020 – 9.00PM (Lockdown Period)
In the aforesaid Lockdown Period, the following essentials service shall alone be permitted:
- Hospitals, medical research centers, and service relating to the medical department such as ambulance and funeral services;
- Persons delivering essential services in secretariat, health and family welfare department, police department, revenue department, disaster management department, electricity department, aavin, local body offices, and metro water department;
- Other central government departments, 33% staffs of the banks employees;
- Amma canteens and ATM’s;
- Hotels which are ready to provide home delivery;
- Homes for old age, physically challenged and homes providing assistance to the senior citizens;
- Community kitchens functioning for the destitute in every district, social welfare department and local bodies;
- NGO’s working for the poor having due permission from the Government; and
- Whole vegetable market like Koyambedu including mobile vegetable markets.
Any previous permission held by any person to open shops will not be applicable during the Lockdown Period in the aforesaid days. All other services shall be closed. Other government services such as registration department services will not be functioning. IT employees can work from home. Other private organizations shall not function.
The guidelines issued for other areas shall continue to remain implemented.
In the aforesaid Lockdown Period, strict measures shall be implemented in Containment Zones (“CZ”). The CZ shall be sanitized twice with disinfectants. If anyone violates the aforesaid rules, the vehicle shall be ceased and stringent actions shall be taken.