Rupinder specializes in General Corporate Commercial; Mergers & Acquisitions; Private Equity; Anti-Corruption and White-Collar Crime investigations practice areas.
Rupinder has extensive expertise in M&A, joint ventures; PE investments, strategic alliances; cross-border investments; restructurings of Indian and international conglomerates. She regularly advises clients on foreign investments and related regulatory issues arising out of their entry in India as well as matters relating to corporate, employment, information technology and foreign exchange control laws in connection with both inbound and outbound investments.
Rupinder also has an extensive cyber laws and data privacy practice, advising clients across various industries on extant and upcoming Indian technology and data laws. She advices and assists on advisory in relation to IT laws, contractual reviews, data privacy diligence, data flow structuring and various other aspects.
Rupinder also leads a team that advises and assists with compliance and internal investigations in connection with white-collar crimes including issues under the (Indian) Prevention of Corruption Act, 1988, the (Indian) Prevention of Money Laundering Act, 2002, the (US) Foreign Corrupt Practices Act of 1977, the (UK) Bribery Act, 2010, and other local and international anti-corruption laws and sanctions. She has also extensively handled matters in connection with general employment law and workplace policies, code of conduct, Prevention of Sexual Harassment and related issues.
Being recognized as a solution-oriented lawyer, she has a wealth of experience in advising on legal and contractual matters for the successful outcome of a transaction. She has advised on several diverse corporate transactions, including share acquisitions and business transfers across various sectors such as real estate, healthcare, e-commerce, EV, fintech, technology, infrastructure & energy, services and manufacturing.
Rupinder is a member of Executive Committee of JSA. She is also a Chapter Leader of WWCDA (Women’s White Collar Defense Association), India, which is a coalition of women attorneys and other professionals, globally.
- International Bar Association
- Bar Council of Punjab and Haryana
- Supreme Court Bar Association
Seminars and Publications
Rupinder has delivered addresses at various events and webinars in India and various other jurisdictions. Below are some of the recent:
- Panel discussion on ‘Good Guidelines: the rudder of an effective investigation’ organized by Association of Corporate Investigators (ACi)
- Panel discussion on diversity and inclusion in the law organized by Asia Pacific chapter of WWCDA.
- Speaker at round table discussions on ‘Data Breach & Cyber Security’ and ‘Data Retention – The Blind Spot in Your Privacy Program’ organised by Events 4 Sure.
- Moderated the topic “You’ve been hacked – Principles and Guidelines” at the GIR Live: Women in Investigations 2022 held in London.
- Organized and hosted virtual knowledge sharing session with PwC on the topic of ‘CERT-In Directions, 2022’.
- Moderated session with EY along with the guest speaker was Ratnaboli Ghorai, Deputy DG at National Informatics Centre and the topic of discussion is “Responding to Emerging Cyber Risks: Compliance, Data Protection and Legal Implications in the Digital Universe”.
- Moderated the Plenary session I on ‘Fraud Risk Management – How to get the formula right?’at the CII Conference on Corporate Frauds: Governance and Risk Management.
- Speaker at the Annual Women Economic Forum (WEF) on Bridge the Gap: G100 – G20 Agenda.
- Guest lecturer on White Collar Crimes-related aspects at the National Law University, Delhi.
Some of the recent articles and quotes are:
- Revamping India’s outdated data laws, published in The Economic Times.
- A CERT-In Dominance: Analysing the MeitY’s New Cybersecurity Directions, published in The Economic Times.
- HIV and AIDS Policy for Establishments 2022, published in Lexology.
- India Chapter of the ‘ESG Comparative Guide’ published in Mondaq.
- Draft Digital Personal Data Protection Bill 2022 (“DPDP”) with various media publications.
- ‘India’s Data Protection Bill – A Step Forward and What Next?’ published in The Outlook.
- ‘Rebooting India’s IT legal framework: Budget 2023 in the age of ChatGPT’ published in The Economic Times.
- B.A. Punjab University
- L.L. B, Punjab University
- World Trade Institute, Switzerland (Certificate, Dispute Settlement)
- London School of Economics Political Science (Certificate, Commercial Law)
- Political Science (Certificate, Commercial Law)