Nitin specializes in Public and Private, Mergers & Acquisitions, Business Restructuring, Asset & Share Purchase, Transborder Alliances & Joint Ventures, Private Equity and general Corporate advisory.
Nitin has a vast experience with transactions related to Foreign Direct Investments & Exchange Controls Regulations. He has advised several multinational companies on financial & technical collaborations in India, Strategies / options for commencing operations or consolidations in India, in a cross section of industries. His focus has been on foreign investments from US, UK, Germany and Japan.
He also has extensive experience in Private Equity & Strategic Investment transactions including leveraged buyout transactions & exits. He has provided solution oriented business advice to a variety of companies receiving PE investments.
Nitin is a keen observer of the evolution of the law regulating Takeovers, the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code 2016 and Corporate Governance. He has been part of several high-profile corporate takeover battles including, defending hostile bids and family succession in businesses.
The Asia Pacific Legal 500 has recognised Nitin Potdar for being ‘most influential & significant lawyer in 2019’. Chambers & Partners observed that, ‘Nitin Potdar maintains a busy M&A and foreign direct investment practice, as well as handling a steady stream of joint venture and private equity matters. He is also highlighted for his considerable expertise advising inbound foreign clients.’
He is a frequent speaker at several conferences and seminars organized by leading industry, institutions, and chambers on subjects like, Takeover Code, M&A, and structuring of Joint Ventures.
Prior to joining JSA, Nitin was a Partner with Amarchand & Mangaldas & Suresh A. Shroff & Co., and prior thereto at Crawford Bayley & Co.
- Member of the Bar Council of Maharashtra and Goa as an Advocate in July 2000
- Member of the Bombay Incorporated Law Society as a Solicitor in January 2002
- Advocate on Record of the Supreme Court of India in February
- Nitin has written and published various articles related to legal, regulatory and contractual issues including the following:-
- Joint Ventures & Foreign Direct Investment – 1999 (Western India Regional Council of the ICSI).
- Promoters & Hostile Takeover Bids – Economic Times
- Foreign Investments in India – 2007 (Entry Options & Regulatory Regime) Trade Links Canada
- Foreign Investments in India – 2008 (Entry Options & Regulatory Regime) Indo German Chamber Business Magazine
- B. Com. (Honours), University of Bombay (1979)
- LL.B., University of Bombay (1982)
- Solicitor, The Bombay Incorporated Law Society (1983)