Amit Kapur is a Partner with J. Sagar Associates since 2000. He has anchored the Firm’s Infrastructure practice since 1997 and now chairs the Regulatory & Policy Practice (including Public Procurement and PPP).
His practice covers Energy (Power & Hydrocarbons); Transport (Rail, Highways and Civil Aviation); Municipal Infrastructure and Social / Developmental projects.
He is regularly consulted on Infrastructure, Regulatory and PPP issues by several ministries / bodies of Central and State Governments; Developmental Financial Institutions (the World Bank, PPIAF, WSP-SA, ADB); Competition & Sector regulators and leading Indian and foreign Corporates (like the Tata Group, Reliance ADA Group, Adani Group, GVK Group, GMR Group, Vedanata Group, Larsen & Toubro, Torrent, Lanco).
He has been associated with several precedent setting Infrastructure and PPP projects like Delhi electricity privatization; Metro Rail projects in Mumbai & Delhi; the first 3 ultra-mega power projects (each involving over US$ 3.5 billion); and pilot projects for social / developmental Infrastructure. He handles diverse legal, regulatory and policy issues, including:-
- Advising on applicable constitutional, legal, policy and regulatory issues; drafting laws, delegated legislation, policies, regulatory instruments and reform / restructuring strategies.
- Transactions: Mergers & Acquisitions, investments, commercial arrangements and financing.
- Evolving frameworks, regulatory regime & policies to facilitate Public-Private-Partnerships and functioning of regulated utilities.
- Anchoring as counsel complex, precedent-setting commercial and regulatory matters before the Supreme Court, High Courts, Appellate Tribunals, Regulators (in Competition, Power, Hydrocarbons, Airports) and Arbitral Tribunals.
- He has also represented power companies as counsel in arbitrations involving delay in completion of project, imposition of liquidated damages and money claims.
He has structured and conducted capacity building programs for Competition Commission of India; Ministry of Finance (for PPP); Electricity Regulatory Commissions in SAFIR; visiting faculty for Executive Education programs for National Law School of India University (Bangalore), IIM – Bangalore and SAFIR.
For the past decade he has been a member of the National Infrastructure Council and Energy Committee of Confederation of Indian Industry. He serves on the Academic Council of University of Petroleum & Energy Studies (UPES) and the Governing Council of CUTS Institute for Regulation & Competition (CIRC).
Amit is a regular speaker / faculty at International & National Workshops and Programs on issues of Policy, Law, Regulation, Project Finance, reforms and private participation in Infrastructure and has published position papers and articles in established international and domestic journals.