Vaibhav is an experienced competition / antitrust lawyer with more than ten years of experience as a qualified lawyer. He represents and advises clients on a broad range of competition law issues. He has worked on a number of high-profile antitrust litigations before the Competition Commission of India including Director General (Investigation), Appellate Tribunals, High Courts and the Supreme Court of India.
He routinely advises a number of multinational corporations and industry associations on merger control, cartel defense and market abuse investigations including competition concerns in various types of commercial agreements. He works closely with clients to devise their strategy on competition compliance and dawn raid programmes. He has also advised and represented companies on cases relating to cartel leniency.
He advises on M&A transactions from the competition law perspective by devising their merger control strategy, combining commercial, legal and often political considerations to maximise the chance of a successful outcome.
Vaibhav holds a master’s degree in competition law from Kings College, London, where he has received tutelage from Prof. Richard Whish in EU Competition Law. He has authored numerous articles in competition law journals and leading newspapers. He is also a frequent speaker on all antitrust issues in various fora.
Some of the key assignments handled by Vaibhav include:
1. Competition Litigation
- Successfully defended Indiabulls Financial Services (bank pre-payment penalty case), Responsive Industries (PVC sheet cartel), Alkali Manufacturer Association (soda ash cartel), Modi Tyres (tyre cartel), Omaxe Limited (real-estate cartel) and Wockhardt Limited in cartel inquiries before the CCI
- Successfully defended Zee Turner, Omaxe Limited and Indian Railways in abuse of dominance inquiries before the CCI
- Strategised and filed leniency applications for companies involved in sectors including broadcasting, conveyer belt manufacturing, solid waste management equipment and beverages with the CCI
- Presently defending a car manufacturer in abuse of dominance inquiry before the CCI
- Currently defending various Japanese auto-parts manufacturers, male contraceptive manufacturers and a paper manufacturer in cartel inquiries before the CCI
- Defended an oil marketing company, cable manufacturers, a truck operators association, LPG cylinder manufacturers, sugar companies and pharmaceutical companies in cartel inquiries before the CCI
- Defended National Stock Exchange and Super Cassettes (T-Series) in abuse of dominance inquiries before the CCI
- Representing leading seed companies in an abuse of dominance inquiry against Monsanto Group before the CCI and Delhi High Court and SC.
- Defended a cement manufacturer, LPG cylinder manufacturer, shoe manufacturer and explosive manufacturers against the order of CCI in cartel inquiries before the National Company Law Appellate Tribunal (NCLAT)
II. Merger Control
- Temasek/ IndiaIdeas.com (2019)
- Teleperformance/ Intelenet (2018)
- Crown Holdings/ Signode Industrial Group (2018)
- Adani Transmission/ Reliance Infrastructure (2018)
- Rosneft/ Trafigura/ Essar Oil (2017)
- eBay/ Flipkart (2017)
- Cinepolis/ DT Cinema (2016)
- Mitsubishi Chemical/ Chatterjee Management (2016)
- American & Efird Global/ Vardhman Yarns (2016)
- Reliance Communication/ Sistema (2016)
- Reliance Defence/ Pipavav Defence (2015)
- Harman International/ Symphony Technology (2015)
Before joining JSA, Vaibhav was working with the competition law team of Amarchand & Mangaldas and Suresh A Shroff &Co.