Uttara’s practice area is focused on Finance, and her specialization is Debt Capital markets, viz. Bonds, MTNs, FCCBs. Uttara specializes in Capital Market transactions, including, Initial Public Offerings, Rights Issues, Qualified Institutions Placements, and, international debt capital market transactions like standalone US$ Bond Issues, Global Depository Receipts Issuances and Foreign Currency Convertible Bond Offerings by Indian corporates and banks, in the public as well as private sector. Uttara has advised Indian Issuers as well as banks/ lead managers. Uttara has also advised clients in public issues of tax free bonds and commercial papers in the Indian debt markets.
Uttara has extensive experience in the international debt capital market sphere, with particular reference to issuances of off- shore/ foreign bonds by Indian corporates and banks including issuances of Global Medium Term Notes (MTN)/ Bonds by banks and corporates, including establishment of US$ and Australian Dollar MTN Programmes.
Uttara has advised clients on diverse kinds of offshore debt instruments ranging from Green Bonds, Formosa Bonds, Samurai Bonds, Masala Bonds, Additional Tier I Bonds, to name a few.
Uttara has been instrumental in assisting and advising clients on listing of Euro and Global Medium Term Note Programmes and US$ Bonds on BSE’s India International Exchange and NSE’s IFSC, being India’s International Exchanges, which have been recently established in India’s GIFT IFSC.
Uttara commenced her career with Crawford, Bayley & Co, as a Solicitor. She has completed almost 20 years in corporate practice as a Solicitor. Uttara is qualified to practice as a Solicitor in India as well as the Senior Courts of England & Wales. Uttara has been with us for almost 15 years.
Uttara’s practice also covers diverse areas of Corporate Commercial law including Foreign Investment, Joint Ventures and Capital Market transactions. She has also advised clients on transactions of the nature of Mergers & Acquisitions and Private Equity investments, as well as on Projects involved in the ‘Infrastructure’ sphere.
IFLR1000 has recognized Uttara Kolhatkar as a ‘Notable Practitioner’ in Capital Markets: Debt,Capital Markets: Equity & M&A practice areas.
The Legal 500 has recognized Uttara Kolhatkar as a ‘key lawyer’ in the Capital Markets segment.
- Advocate, Bar Council of Maharashtra and Goa, India
- Solicitor, The Bombay Incorporated Law Society, India
- Solicitor, The Law Society of England and Wales
- ‘HPCL maiden bond issue a breeze’ published in India Business Law Journal.
- ‘India Exim green bond sets proceeds precedent’ published in International Financial Law Review (online edition).
- ‘Reliance Industries’ Formosa bond offering as a ‘Deal of the Year’ published in India Business Law Journal.
- B. A. (History Honours), Lady Shri Ram College, University of Delhi, India
- LL. B., Government Law College, University of Bombay, India