Rupinder’s practice primarily focusses on mergers & acquisitions; private equity investments; joint ventures; strategic alliances; cross-border investments; restructurings of Indian and international conglomerates; as well as anti-corruption laws.
She regularly advises clients on foreign investments and related regulatory issues for India entry as well as matters related to corporate, employment, information technology and foreign exchange control laws in connection with both inbound and outbound investments.
Being recognised as a solution-oriented lawyer with a wealth of experience who can advice beyond legal and contractual matters for the successful outcome of a transaction, she has advised on several diverse corporate transactions, including share acquisition and business transfers across various sectors such as real estate, healthcare, e-commerce, fintech, technology, infrastructure & energy, services and manufacturing.
Additionally, Rupinder also advises and assists with compliance and internal investigations in connection with the Prevention of Corruption Act; the Money Laundering Act; the FCPA; the UK Bribery Act; and other local and international anti-corruption laws. She has also been involved in general employment law advisory and workplace policies, code of conduct and related matters.
Before joining JSA, Rupinder was with Baker McKenzie law firm and has more than 20 years of experience representing a wide variety of industries, businesses and sectors.
Her recent deals include:
- Advised Groupon Inc. in connection with an acquisition by One97 Communications Limited, (the entity running the online payment and e-commerce platform called “Paytm”) of Nearbuy India Private Limited and Little Internet Private Limited, entities running hyper local deals discovery platform.
- Advised APG Asset Management NV. in connection with the establishment of multiple investment platforms with Godrej Properties Limited for investment in real estate residential and commercial projects in India.
- Advised and assisted investment platform managed by Godrej Fund Management and Godrej Properties Limited, in connection with a joint venture with Hero Cycles Limited (HCL) to undertake construction and development of a commercial colony in Gurgaon.
- Advised and assisted a leading technology and service provider for the financial services industry (fintech) in the acquisition of a digital payment service provider in India.
- Advised and assisted a public listed automotive company in Thailand in connection with its acquisition of 25.1% of the shareholding in a key operating automotive company in India (awarded the Deal of the Year Award- 2017 by Asia Business Journal).
- Assisted and advised a real estate fund in a joint venture with the retail development arm of a private equity investor to acquire three retail assets in India for about USD 300 million. The portfolio comprised of 3.5 million square feet across three retail assets developed in three cities of India.
- Advised a private equity fund in connection with its acquisition of shareholding in a renowned hotel chain company in India which operates around 40 hotels.
- Advised a Swiss cosmetic major in establishing a joint venture with an Indian retail company for sale of its cosmetic products in India and for manufacturing products in India on a toll manufacturing basis.
- Advised an Indian entity in connection with a private equity investment by an affiliate of GE Financial Services. The Indian entity is engaged in the business of developing and operating solar power projects in Rajasthan, Karnataka, Uttar Pradesh and Maharashtra.
- Advised a Swiss company in its acquisition of majority shareholding in a company engaged in the business of organizing art fairs in India.
- Advised a Swiss company, manufacturing speciality chemicals used for construction purposes, in connection with 100% acquisition of shareholding in an Indian company engaged in selling, marketing and distribution of chemical products, particularly dielectrics, composites, and adhesives.
- Advised and assisted a reputable US apparel and fashion accessories company in setting up its Indian business and operations.
- Advised a US media company proposing to offer media content streaming services in India.
- Advised a US IT/ITes company in relation to merger of its two Indian subsidiaries.