Poonam has been actively involved in the Infrastructure & Regulatory Practice which covers Electricity, Airports, Railways and Highways.
She has been involved in formulating strategies, drafting Petitions, Appeals, Replies, Statement of Claim etc., representing clients (Corporate Houses involved in Generation, Distribution and Transmission of Electricity, Airlines and Private Container Train Operator) before various State Electricity Regulatory Commissions, Appellate Tribunals for Electricity, Airports and Competition, Competition Commission of India, High Court of Delhi, Supreme Court and Consumer Fora and briefing counsel.
She has advised on risk analysis and the mitigation strategy involved in various projects and rendered legal opinions on regulatory issues pertaining to tariff fixation, licensing, reforms and restructuring to electricity distribution companies and the trading companies in India. She has analyzed the critical issues arising out of the policies issued by the Statutory Authorities and the Government on Power, Rail, Civil Aviation and Highways. Poonam has participated in Consultation meetings conducted by the Airport Regulator to represent Airlines, analyzed / challenged / supported the study carried out by the Airport Regulator before the Appellate Forum of Airports. She also assisted in preparation of agreements for transmission, applications and other related documents for grant of transmission license. She has advised and drafted agreements and documents for the power trading company on diverse regulatory and competition issues.
Amongst others, she is currently involved in devising strategy on the critical issues in the Electricity industry such as hike in tariff, impact of change in policies on imported fuel, applicability of the Transmission Regulations issued by Central Electricity Regulatory Commission and the impact of changes made in the Multi Year Tariff Regulations.
Poonam has also worked on legal opinions on the issues relating to acquisition of land for the Jaipur Ring Road Development Corridor Project initiated by an Infrastructure Company. She was also involved in extensive legal due diligence exercises conducted on the target companies for identifying key issues relevant to their acquisition.
Policy Bodies & Industry Association positions / representations
As a part of her practice, Poonam has had the opportunity to assist in drafting of notifications for Government Bodies, Discussions and Conferences concerning amendment of Master Plan of Delhi on the issues of use of premises for commercial as well as residential purposes for a category of professionals
Workshops, Seminars and Publications
Poonam has also been regularly attending national conferences and workshops on topics related to diverse professional and industry-specific fora like –
- Seminars on Public Private Partnership and the related issues in New Delhi (2007).
- Conventions including INSOL (Law of Insolvency and other related concepts like globalization and new economic orders with special reference to corporate and insolvency laws) and Asia Pacific Jurist Association (Environment, Awareness and Enforcement).
Poonam has also written and published various articles on various issues including the following:-
- An article titled “The Human Rights Education- The Challenges” in Vol. 4 Issue 1 “Combat Law- The Human Rights Magazine” (2005).
- An article titled “HIV- Awareness in the society” in “Tehelka, the People’s paper” (2004).
- Edited a “Handbook on Welfare State, Right to Life and Capital Punishment in India” published by Sampark (2005).
- Bar Council of Delhi
- Asia Pacific Jurist Association
- B. A., LL. B. (Honours), Army Institute of Law, Mohali, Punjab University (2004)