Farid is an Advocate and a Solicitor having extensive experience in real estate starting from investigation of title to drafting transactional documents. Farid also specializes in disputes relating to real estate. He regularly advises business houses and relators in all aspects of real estate transactions and strategising acquisition and sale of immoveable property. Farid also advises on special laws relating to redevelopment of societies and slum rehabilitation. His clients which include some of the top relators, banks and high net individuals have engaged him on issues relating to SEZ’s, townships, acquisition of agricultural land, setting up townships, slum rehabilitation, society development and has advised clients in some of the most complex real estate and conveyancing transactions. Apart from real estate Farid also advises in succession planning, formation of trusts and general advise relating to various laws in India.
Litigation and Arbitration
His disputes practice in real estate extends to appearing in all Civil Courts, Consumer forums, Small Causes Court, Co-operative Court, revenue tribunals, and some of the Magistrate and Sessions Court in Mumbai. Apart from real estate Farid also specializes in corporate, commercial litigation and arbitration and appears regularly for banks and business houses before the Debt Recovery Tribunal (DRT) and the National Company Law Tribunal. He has handled dispute matters for Banks and business houses, in Chennai, Goa, Lucknow, Kolkata and Bangalore as well. He has also represented both the State Government and Central Government in international commercial arbitrations, proceedings before the High Court and the Supreme Court of India. He has also handled commercial litigations before the Commercial Courts in London and United States of America as well.
Some of the clients whom he has represented:
- Government of India (proceedings before the Supreme Court of India against Reliance Industries and British petroleum) in respect of disputes relating to gas pricing in the KGD6 reservoir;
- Government of Maharashtra (proceedings before the Supreme Court, High Court and arbitration proceedings in London under the UNCITRAL Rules against Enron, GE and Bechtel) in respect of disputes relating to the Dabhol Power Project;
- Mumbai International Airport Pvt. Ltd. (representing MIAL before the City Civil Court, Sessions Court, High Court, Supreme Court, Small Causes Court, Revenue Tribunals, arbitration proceedings and doing their real estate work as well. Farid prepared the slum rehabilitation agreement entered into in 2007 between MIAL and HDIL with respect to slum rehabilitation of the airport slum dwellers. When later disputes arose with respect to this agreement, Farid successfully represented MIAL before the Bombay High Court and the Supreme Court of India as well as before the arbitral tribunal constituted for the disputes;
- HDFC Bank Ltd (representing the Bank’s special operation unit before the DRT, Delhi, DRT Mumbai, Commercial Court London, NCLT, Bombay High Court and the Supreme Court of India;
- BSE Ltd (representing BSE before the Small Causes Court, City Civil Court, Magistrate Court, High Court, National Commission and Supreme Court of India;
- Tata Housing Ltd (representing them before the High Court);
- Tata Sons and Tata Trust (real estate advisory and documentation)
- BNP Paribas (representing them before the DRT and City Court)
- Credit Agricole (representing them before the DRT)
- Lokhandwala Infrastructure Pvt Ltd (representing them before the Bombay High Court and Supreme Court of India and real estate)
- Moraj Infrastructure Pvt Ltd (representing them in all their litigation, arbitration and real estate matters)
- Bhumiraj Construction Pvt Ltd (representing them before the State Commission, National Commission, High Court and Supreme Court of India)