Farhad acts and appears in diverse complex multi-jurisdictional national and international commercial arbitrations, and disputes involving tortious and contractual aspects of civil law. He acts and advises investors in Investor-State bilateral treaty disputes, and was the lead advisor in simultaneous litigation & arbitration proceedings in Sri Lanka and the U.K. for a global port operator, for which the Firm was awarded the ‘Asian Counsel-Deal of the Year’, for Dispute Resolution and chairs the firm’s Disputes practice.
Farhad has advised & acted in numerous proceedings involving administrative law and constitutional challenges relating, amongst others, to excise duties and tariffs and import & export laws. He has appeared in several landmark decisions of the Supreme Court of India on issues such as the liability to pay customs duty on the import of Intellectual Property, and the applicability of excise duty provisions to immovable property.
Farhad has advised & appeared in numerous multi-pronged international trade defence investigations and proceedings involving anti-dumping and safeguard duties.
He has advised international and Indian companies on India’s erstwhile monopolistic, restrictive & unfair trade practices law and heads the firm’s Competition Law practice in Mumbai. Farhad acted in India’s first cartel activity investigation before the new Competition Commission of India and also the first substantive abuse of dominance proceeding before the commission. He advises extensively on merger control issues and filings in both global and Indian acquisitions and mergers, as well as on internal Competition Law corporate compliance.
Recent work includes successful arbitration, appeal and Supreme Court proceedings for a global port operator against a major port trust’s demands for land lease charges, acting for an European manufacturer of amusement park rides opposing claims for damages in arbitration proceedings, advising on and acting in several Bilateral Investor Treaty disputes and arbitration for investors, and advice and representation of pharmaceutical and automotive majors in diverse disputes, and in arbitration.
- American Bar Association
- Bar Council of Maharashtra & Goa
- Bombay Bar Association
- International Bar Association
- India Chapter for the European Lawyer Reference series on ‘merger control jurisdictional comparisons’ 2011, 2014, 2017
- India chapter of Leniency Regimes published by Thompson Reuters, 2012, 2015
- Best practices for compliance programmes, Concurrences Review N° 2-2015
- Indian Competition Law: Entry into force of the 2007 reform
- India chapter for ‘Dominance, 2008’ on ‘The regulation of dominant firm conduct in 36 jurisdictions worldwide’
- India chapter on Vertical Agreements, 2014 pub. – Getting the Deal Through.
B.A.(Econ. Hons), LLB (Bombay University)