Dhirendra is a versatile Litigator to have counselled clients in Corporate Commercial, Mining, Construction & Engineering and Civil Litigation before Courts and Arbitral Tribunals.
With more than twenty years of Litigation & Arbitration experience at District Courts, High Courts and Supreme Court of India, Dhirendra co-chairs the Disputes Resolution practice of JSA.
His expertise aligns well with the Construction & Engineering sector where he has been advising clients on various issues arising in relation to Project contracts. He has represented clients in arbitrations and court cases relating to complex disputes in Power, Pipeline, Road, Oil & Gas and other projects along with arbitration proceedings in relation to claims for extension of time and delay costs in complex and high value projects.
Some of the key assignments handled by Dhirendra include:
- Advised and conducted various arbitrations on behalf of the joint venture of two major Canadian and Indian construction companies in relation to the contracts for construction of Dam and Head Race Tunnel for one of the largest hydro-electric projects in India
- Advised and conducted arbitration proceedings on behalf of the joint venture of two major Austrian and Indian companies in relation to the contract for construction of Head Race Tunnel through D&B Method and through TBM
- Conducted arbitration proceedings on behalf of a major construction Indian construction company with respect to several pipeline projects in India
- Conducted arbitration proceedings in respect of contracts for civil works of various hydro- electric projects in India
- Advised client on the claims pertaining to construction of offshore well platforms with jackets and submarine pipelines
- Conducted arbitration proceedings concerning one of the earliest projects of the government owned refineries for construction of Sulphur Recovery Units which involved highly contentious issues concerning liability of taxes, duties and Price Reduction
- Advised the joint venture of English and an Indian company on contractual claims concerning the project of revival of the erstwhile ‘Dabhol’ project
- Advised clients and conducted arbitration concerning various NHAI road projects
- Advised a Korean client on its claims relating to the laying of underground electric cables for its Indian client
- Advised client regularly on issues arising out of Production Sharing Contracts with the Government of India. Also defended the joint venture of a Canadian and State-owned entity in the challenge by the Government of India to an award granting Cost Recovery Status to the pipeline constructed by the JV
- Conducted litigation on behalf of India’s largest mining company on the interpretation of statute which determined a large amount of liability of payment of royalty on mining of minerals. Conducted litigation against the State Government’s attempt to recover penalty on account of alleged unauthorised mining. Also represented the same client before the mining tribunal on various occasions for challenging the orders of the State Government relating to the mining operations
- Was involved in a landmark litigation which involved the question whether a public-private partnership entity is a “State” under the Constitution of India
- Conducted the appeal before the Supreme Court of India against the order of a district consumer forum which had restrained a Mutual Fund from going ahead with the issue. The statute was later amended pursuant to the decision of the Supreme Court in this case that consumer forums had no jurisdiction to pass interim orders